Watermelon Chicken is one of the signature dishes of Suzhou that make up a formal banquet Suzhou style and which are renowned throughout China. The Chicken is first braised and then marinated by using the watermelon. This allows a combination of both sweet and savory flavors. Watermelon Chicken is unique in look and taste.
This recipe is an Easter Egg that you can find on the Buckaroo Banzai Sepcial Edition DVD if you select the BB logo on the second screen of the “Food from the Skies?” article. You will be taken to a video clip of W.D. Richter called “Why?” where he discusses watermelons and shows a recipe for Chicken in a Watermelon.
Recipe Watermelon Chicken
Ingredients for Watermelon Chicken recipe: serves 4 – 5
1 x 1.5 kg (3 lb) chicken, cut into joints
2 tablespoons sherry salt
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml water
Directions to cook Watermelon Chicken:
1. Put the chicken joints in a saucepan and pour over the water and sherry. Add salt and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Remove lid from the watermelon and scoop out enough of the flesh to make room for the chicken joints and cooking liquid.
3. Put in the chicken and liquid and add more salt. Replace the ‘lid’ and secure it with skewers.
4. Put the melon in a large pot and steam or simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours, or until the skin of the melon turns yellow.
5. Try not to break the melon when serving as it is all delicious.
The taste is very mellow overall, and the chicken is so tender that it actually pulls apart at the middle as I try to remove it from the melon.
Copyrights © Chinese cooking
Please indicate the author and link to original source when reproduced!